Export AOL contacts to Outlook or Gmail
When start using a new email software, such as migrate your AOL e-mail to Outlook, Gmail, you won't like to type the contacts into new Outlook or gmail address book one by one. Is there a brief way to copy or export AOL contacts to Outlook or Gmail directly?
To meet your needs, Here is email contacts to contacts transfer application, which allows you move, transfer and export AOL e-mail, folders, address book and favorite places to Outlook, Gmail, or even the Mac! That's what ePreserver do!
ePreserver is the simplest way to to:
- Copy your AOL mail and contacts to Outlook or Gmail.
- Convert your AOL favorites to Internet Explorer.
- Export your AOL data from Windows to the Mac.
Buy Now $24.95
" I move to another place for work and use the Outlook express now. Is there a way to convert my AOL email and address book to my new Outlook express contacts, is it possible? "
Okay, ePreserver supports AOL 9.x, AOL Desktop and AOL webmail. With this special software on Windows computer. You can convert your AOL e-mail, folders, address book and favorite places easily. Your original information in AOL will not be changed in any way. If you use AOL 8 or 9, ePreserver works even if you've already left AOL! Here is how to export AOL contacts to Outlook or Gamil with step-by-step guide.
Important: You must still have an active AOL screen name in order to use these instructions. AOL Communicator is no longer supported by AOL, so you should uninstall it when this procedure is finished.
1. Install AOL Communicator
The first task is to download and install AOL Communicator, which is based on Netscape and is smaller and less intrusive than AOL 9. You can easily uninstall AOL Communicator when you are done. here is the download link: http://am.net/lib/TOOLS/AOL/ac_install.exe
This download should be about a minute if you have cable or DSL Internet access. When you are asked if you want to Run or Save the software, click Run.
Once the download completes, click Run:
Follow the prompts to install AOL Communicator. Make sure you UNCHECK the box for "Make AOL Communicator my mail client":
If you get an error about "The installer needs to close the application", just click Cancel. You'll be told the installation was canceled, but the error message is wrong.
2. Set up a dummy email account
AOL Communicator will automatically start after you install it. You will be asked to fill out your mailbox information. We won't really be setting up a mailbox so will provide placeholder information.
On the Welcome page, just click Next:
On Step 1, fill out the requested information. You can enter "Test" for the Account Description. Make sure you enter your AOL screen name and password correctly.
Click Next when you are finished:
On Step 2, just click Next.
On Step 3, uncheck Mail and check Address Book:
Finally, on Step 4, click Complete Setup:
You will see a message that AOL Communicator is download messages. You can click Cancel once the Synchronizing Address Book bar is complete:
You'll receive an error, but you can just click OK. You may see this error, in which case you should just OK:
Finally, if you are asked if you want to create another account, just click No:
3. Export your contacts
AOL Communicator should have opened automatically. Go to the address book, click on the File menu, and choose Export...
When the Export window opens, click Desktop on the left, type in aol for the filename, and click Save:
You're almost done!
4. Import your contacts to Outlook or Gmail
The final step is to run ePreserver and point it at the file you just created. If you've already installed ePreserver, start it by clicking on the life preserver icon on your desktop:
Click Next on the first page for ePreserver, then you will see something like this: (If you see the Screen Name page instead, please click the Show More Choices button.)
Click the File button. When you see the Open window, click Desktop on the left, click on aol.ldif in the middle, and click Open in the bottom right:
Now, you can select only Address book.
Select to import the converted AOL contacts to Gmail or Outlook. From the screenshot, we can see that you can AOL contacts to Gmail, convert AOL contacts to HTML files, convert AOL contacts to Mac, export AOL contacts to Outlook 2003, export AOL contacts to Outlook Express and more.
Once you've picked the account, you can choose which data you want to export into an Outlook, Outlook Express, Gmail.
Now, this show that you have added 29 items to your Outlook contacts. Good luck. That's all there is to it with this program. Again, please realize that there are doubtless other free or lower cost applications out there, I just chose the one that appeared the most professional, since I'd rather have it work right the first time. If $25 is too expensive for your budget, then searching for "aol address book export tool" will doubtless lead you to some other choices, but Connected Software does tell me that ePreserver is the only third-party app that can read the encrypted AOL Address Book (nice of them, eh?). I hope this helps you out!
Buy Now $24.95
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: You will most likely get an error about "Access Denied" when you click Open. To solve the problem:
- Right-click "aol.ldif" choose Copy.
- Right-click again and choose Paste.
- You'll see a window saying "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file." Click the Continue button.
- Select the new file named "aol - Copy.ldif" and click Open.
- Continue with ePreserver to convert the address book.
More software you may need
See more tips
- Copy contacts from Thunderbird to Apple iPhone/iPod touch/iPad on Windows
- How to backup iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 contacts without using iTunes
- Ways to read contacts from iPhone from the backup file
- How do backup contacts on iPhone 4 to Mac address book
- How do I backup white iPhone 4 contacts to new computer and import the contacts to Gmail
- How to backup iPhone contacts
- Export iPhone contacts in SIM Card
- How do I copy my iPhone contacts to a new Mac
- How do I sync my iPhone contacts with my Outlook
- Move contacts from iPhone to Android mobile phone
- How can I veiw my iPhone contacts on computer
- How to transfer AOL contacts to a new computer
- How to backup iPhone contacts to Mac
- How to share my entire contact list to another iPhone
- How to backup iPhone contacts with Tansee iPhone contacts backup
- How to copy my contacts from iPhone to computer
- How to backup iPhone contacts to Windows 7
- How to copy contacts on iPhone to PC
- How to copy contacts from iPhone to Mac
- How to backup my iPhone contacts list
- How to send iPhone contacts to computer
- see more